Looking for 1914 Grodno doctor

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
Naomi999

Looking for 1914 Grodno doctor

Post by Naomi999 »

I am looking to find information about a Dr. Rothenstein, described in a November, 1915, German report as having been the most prominent doctor in Grodno. The report said that Dr. Rothenstein had been head of the Red Cross Hospital in Grodno, but resigned this position after one of his patients died in November 1914 due to an unauthorized order by the Russian military commander's wife. Dr. Rothenstein also died soon afterwards. I am not related to the doctor, but the patient he tried to help was my grandfather. I would like to find out anything about this doctor and how he died. I suspect he was silenced to keep him from making trouble about what had been done to my grandfather. I am new here and just searched Rothenstein < 1918, but found no doctor or доктoр by that name. Is there a way to search just by occupation? I only know the surname.
logan
Site Admin

Re: Looking for 1914 Grodno doctor

Post by logan »

If you search for Rothenstein, one of the results will be from the 1890 Grodno Gubernia Address-Calendar, image 381. Click on the link for that result, and you will see a scan of the corresponding page. The Rothenstein match is in the second line of the last paragraph. That paragraph begins with лекаря:, which means it is a list of physicians. The name given, with patronymic, is Ротенштейнъ Иск. Изрл., which means Isaac Rotenstein, son of Israel.

Logan
Naomi999

Post by Naomi999 »

Thanks, Logan.

I had done that search, and got to that image, but as I used the part that is typed (apparently with many mistakes) under search result to run through google translate, I got Tekapo (it appeared as Текаря) for лекаря and Rotenshteyn lawsuit. Ilrl. for Ротенштейнъ Иск. Илрл. (typed under the search results), so thought he was a lawyer. Is there a way to copy text directly from the image?

How/where would you recommend searching for Rothenstein, Isaac, son of Israel?

Naomi
logan
Site Admin

Post by logan »

There is no way to copy text directly from the image. Even if there were, you would be copying OCR output, which often has errors that wreck machine translation. In this image, you can see that the OCR software mistook the л for Т because part of the ink has worn away, disconnecting the left stroke of the л.

For more information about this person, I'd recommend exploring the website and databases of the Belarus SIG (http://www.jewishgen.org/belarus), and posting an inquiry to their mailing list.

Logan