name Baluk Bałuk

Include as much as you know of name, town, street address, occupation, date.
Yerma

name Baluk Bałuk

Post by Yerma »

My maternal family name carries Bałuk. My great-grandfather Wojciech Bałuk (d. 1913), was a shoemaker in Myślenice k / Krakow. His wife Maria of Miners died in 1938 Their son, Stefan, held the office of mayor Myślenice after the war. I know the parents' names Wojciech - John and Helen from Góralik. The family probably derives from Hungary. Apparently they were related to Leon Bałuk, who had a bakery in Kraków. Tanning and was a senior bakers whites in Krakow. Some of the relatives also show a kinship with Michael Balucki, positivist writer, but I could not confirm this. Part of the family Bałuk (Wojciech sons) went to Warsaw and there shared the fate of thousands of Poles during the Uprising. I traced this name in various parts of the Polish, also in Drohobych.
logan
Site Admin

Re: name Baluk Bałuk

Post by logan »

Two searches that might help, although these results will be also included in a search just for baluk:

1) baluk myslenice

This will find any page that contains both words. For example, the first match is from the 1938 Economic Directory of Kielce, Krakow, and Silesia Provinces and shows a Bałuk St. in Myślenice, perhaps your Stefan.

2) "baluk jan"

With the quotes, this will search for both words next to each other in this order. You will find matches in the Galicia Schematism from 1870 to 1907 for Jan Bałuk, a teacher in Myślenice.

Try the same with "baluk stefan" or "baluk leon" or other exact names, or "baluk st" or "baluk w" using an abbreviated given name. For example, you can find St. Bałuk in 1930 in Myślenice selling "piśmienne materjały" (http://genealogyindexer.org/frame/d24/552/d).

For people who lived in Krakow, look especially for matches in the "Krakow Calendar." Part of this source is a residential section that often includes the names of women, sometimes with their maiden names. I see a Leon Bałuk together with Anna, but not her maiden name.

There are some Bałuks listed in gymnasium reports, which can be especially useful sources because they sometimes include exact birth dates and places. For example, in the 1937/1938 Rzeszow I Gymnasium Report (http://genealogyindexer.org/frame/s167/6/d), there is a Stanislaw Jozef Bałuk, born 18 Aug 1887 in Podgorze.

I don't see any Bałuk in Hungarian sources, but there aren't many Hungarian sources in the search engine.

Logan
Joannabaluk

Re: name Baluk Bałuk

Post by Joannabaluk »

Hi, Stefan Baluk from Myślenice Was my grandpa.